Have you met my daughter Genevieve?


Since I have started writing, I have had a few people ask me to tell them more about Genevieve – what is her diagnosis?  What is her story?   Let me start by saying that Genevieve is magic.  She is beautiful, confident and full of sass.  She owns her story and lives each day to the fullest.

I have shared much of this before, so if you are friends with me on Facebook, you may have already read this a few years back – many of you were there by my side for much of this and may have followed the updates during her first surgery.

“We see something with your daughter’s heart – it is probably nothing, but we would like to refer you to Boston Children’s Hospital (BCH) for an echocardiogram”

I can still hear those words over and over again.  After struggling to conceive, we were blessed with our twins and now there is potentially something wrong with them.  What does this mean?  Did we do something wrong?  Did we cause this?   It is probably nothing, right?

We called the Advanced Fetal Care Center to schedule an echocardiogram.  The appointment seemed to go on forever – an in-depth ultrasound of the heart, watching the colors dancing on the screen that represented the blood flow.  Scanning both hearts –that of my son and my daughter, just in case.  Looking at the face of the ultrasound technician hoping to see a glimpse of whether this is good or bad.  Holding the hand of my husband, we were both waiting for them to say that it was nothing.

We then went to another room to wait for the doctor.  Dr. Ronald Lacro came in to talk to us.  He brought with him a book from the American Heart Association called If your Child has a Congenital Heart Defect.  He showed us pictures and went over her diagnosis – Aortic Stenosis.   He took the time to explain the diagnosis and did his best to answer our questions but a lot of it would remain unknown until after she was born.  My husband, Al,  liked his direct, honest approach . . . while I was in tears and nothing that he could have said with the exception of “everything looks perfect” would have been a comfort to me.  Dr. Lacro left us with the book and his card with an invitation to call or email with anything that we wanted to discuss further.  He knew that we were overwhelmed and that a lot of the questions would not come to mind until we had left the hospital.

The recommendation was to schedule a follow-up echocardiogram so they could monitor her as she got bigger.   Wait and see.  I was a wreck – what did this mean?   What does this mean for her twin brother?  We didn’t have just her to worry about – we had her twin to factor in, too.

For the rest of the pregnancy, we had regular appointments at the Advanced Fetal Care Center.  Being a twin pregnancy, we also had regular appointments with our OB, Dr. Katherine Economy at Brigham & Women’s Hospital (BWH).  She seemed genuinely surprised that the spot they had seen at our anatomy scan had turned out to be “something” and worked hard to be reassuring and supportive.  It was stressful, but uneventful.  No major change with her heart, no complications with the pregnancy.

In the last month of the pregnancy, we were appreciative to have made it that far and it was time to start talking about what all of this means.  Thankfully, we did not require intervention during the pregnancy, but it looked like she would require surgery shortly after birth – a catheter procedure to widen the narrowed valve.

We scheduled appointments to tour the Cardiac NICU at BCH and the NICU at BWH.  It was heart breaking and inspiring all at the same time.  The most beautiful tiny children hooked up to machines and monitors while the most dedicated and positive doctors and nurses do all they can to support life.  It was amazing and gave us a bit of hope for what was to come.

We scheduled our c-section for August, 26, 2008.  There was comfort in having a scheduled date.  Our families could be there to support us.  The Cardiac Team at Children’s Hospital was ready and knew that our twins were going to be delivered that day.   During the entire pregnancy, our son was presenting as Twin A and our daughter was Twin B.  Even during a quick ultrasound right before we went to surgery . . . our son was Twin A.  At 8:11AM, Genevieve came into the world.   She was determined to be born first and slipped right past her brother – a sign of things to come with our little girl.  At 8:12AM, Harry made his appearance – now the second born and little brother.

The first few days were a blur.  I saw Genevieve for a moment and then she was gone, transferred to 8 South at BCH.  My son Harry and I were recovering at BWH.  Al was running back and forth trying to be there for everyone.  He was amazing – so strong for his newly born children during all of this.  While time seemed to slow for me, he felt like he was in constant movement.  At my bedside, holding his son and watching the Red Sox game, then back on his feet running over to BCH to check on Genevieve and meet with her doctors and then back again.

At just a day old, Genevieve underwent her first catheter procedure.  They had been able to open the valve more and she was recovering.  Every day, I am so thankful to the team at both Boston Children’s Hospital and Brigham & Women’s Hospital.  Dr. Lacro would call me to let me know how Genevieve was doing, the staff at 8 South made sure that my mom, my father-in-law and anyone else who sat at my daughter’s bedside was comfortable and the team at BWH always happily took Harry to the nursery and ordered a wheelchair so that my husband could take me through the tunnel that connects the two hospitals to see Genevieve.

I was discharged with Harry from the hospital on Saturday, August 30th and Genevieve joined us at home the following Thursday.  That first year was tough – a couple of hospitalizations for non-RSV bronchiolitis, but we got through it.

So begins the rollercoaster that was Genevieve’s 2nd year . . . we had regular check-ups and lots of wait and see, wait and see.  At 14 months old, Dr. Lacro ordered a heart catheter.   He felt that surgery was coming sooner than expected – much sooner as we had age 3 – 5 years in our heads –  it was time to check the pressures across her valve.   On November 5, 2009, she was admitted as an out-patient and had her second catheter procedure.   It was decided that Dr. Lacro would review the results with Dr. Pedro Del Nido, head of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery and get back to us the following week.   We took home our medicated little girl – she moved like she was drunk, completely off balance . . . and wouldn’t you know, that was the night she decided to start walking on her own!

We got the call about 10 days later, things looked “ok”, her heart was holding its own so we would continue to “wait and see”.  I think this is something that every heart parent can relate to.  May 2010, we had her next follow up appointment, EKG and echo-cardiogram.    This was the first appointment that I personally went into feeling strong.  She was doing great just 6 months prior so this should be a routine appointment.   She was a busy toddler, always on the go and no signs of anything amiss with her heart.  Boy, was I wrong!  Dr. Lacro came to us and said that he wanted to consult with Dr. Del Nido again.  That Genevieve’s heart was 3 times the size of a 2 year old – a clear sign that it was showing the stress from the severe regurgitation.   He couldn’t say for sure, but his feeling was that we would either need to do another heart catheter or we would be scheduling open heart surgery to repair her valve before the end of the summer.

I always said that I felt like surgery was hanging over our heads . . . we knew it was coming, so let’s get it over with.  That is what I said, but when we got the word that they did not consider a catheter necessary and wanted to go ahead and schedule surgery, I was devastated.  August 3, 2010 – Open Heart Surgery.  How could this be? Genevieve looked fine, she didn’t act sick, and you couldn’t “see” that there was anything wrong with her heart.  Despite my disbelief, the date was marked on the calendar, FMLA paperwork was done and we had made arrangements for my mom to move in and support us during this time.  We needed someone to be there for Harry and there is no one better than Grandma to spoil him and make sure that he felt loved while his twin sister was in the hospital.

Friday, July 30 – just days before surgery, we got a call from Dr. Lacro.  Dr. Del Nido had a more critical case come up and could not do Genevieve’s surgery on the following Tuesday.  It might be a month or more before she could be rescheduled.  We had a choice to make – reschedule or go forward with a surgeon named Dr. Christopher Baird and they needed our decision soon.   Dr. Del Nido is a rock star in the world of pediatric cardiac surgery.  We had done all of our research and felt we were in the best of hands.  Dr. Baird?  Who is he?  He wasn’t even on the Children’s Hospital website as part of the staff!  Dr. Lacro assured us that either decision would be fine.  Dr. Baird was new to BCH, an extraordinary surgeon recently hired to head up their Congenital Heart Valve Center.  Valve repairs – that is what he “did”.  We decided to go ahead with a pre-op appointment on Monday, August 2nd, meet Dr. Baird in person and go from there.   We did not cancel, but if I was not comfortable after meeting him . . . we would most definitely be rescheduling last minute.  This was my little girl’s heart we were talking about.

Dr. Baird was AMAZING.  We liked him immediately.  He appealed to the car-gal in me.  Genevieve’s unicommissural aortic valve was nothing more than a flap going back and forth.  He intended to rebuild it and make it look more like the “Mercedes-Benz” symbol that a normal aortic valve resembles.  He was so friendly, so charismatic, so confident . . . we were moving forward the next morning.

Reprieve – August 3 – just an hour before we were about to leave for the hospital we got the call.  Genevieve’s surgery was being postponed.  A heart transplant had become available for another child and they needed our operating room.   I was overwhelmed, disappointed . . . and then relieved that our daughter was not that critical.  Our thoughts and prayers turned to this other child who was in much greater need then our Genevieve.  We could wait a few days; we could wait a few months if necessary.

August 5th – open heart surgery – no more reprieves, we were moving forward.   We were scheduled to be the second surgery of the day.  They estimated that she would be brought to the operating room around noon.  Tick tock, noon came and went, along with 1, 2 and 3PM.  The first surgery had gone long.  As the day went on, my anxiety increased. Would they still be able to fit us in?  Would the nurses and doctors be in any condition to do another surgery after the first one?  At 3:30PM, we were finally brought down to the pre-op room and Genevieve took her oral sedation medication.  We stayed with her coloring, playing, hugging and reminding her that we loved her over and over again.  At 4:30PM, I was allowed to carry my sleeping daughter to the operating room and sit with her as they put her under anesthesia.  One last kiss on the forehead and off to the waiting room to meet up with Al.

My Facebook status updates tell the story of that night:

4:35PM “Just left the OR, Genevieve is under anesthesia and they will be getting started”

6:58PM “Vivi went on bypass at 6:15PM, they say she is doing well”

Thankfully, my brother-in-law Walter showed up at that moment.  He convinced us to go across the street to Bertuccis and have something to eat.  The nurse had both of our cell phone numbers, there was nothing we could do at that moment and it would be hours before we would know how things were with Genevieve.  We were in and out in less than an hour, but it was good to have a little something in our stomachs as it was going to be a long night.  On our way back up to the waiting area, we bumped into Dr. Lacro at the elevators.  He told us that he was the cardiologist on call that night and he would be doing her echocardiogram once they had completed the repair.  I was never so glad to see him – he knew her heart better than anyone and he would be there to assist.

More Facebook updates:

9:51PM “First repair still not as good as they hoped. She is back on bypass and they are reworking the valve repair. This has to be the longest day of my life.”

11:10PM “Off bypass. Second echocardiogram was better. Hope to see her in an hour or so and to talk to the doctors. Thanks for all of your support and prayers.”

Al and I sat in the waiting room until just after midnight, updating Facebook, reading all the messages of love and support from our family and friends . . . and watching Boston Med!  There is something really surreal about being at Children’s Hospital seeing the very hallways you just walked on TV.  Dr. Baird found us around midnight at which point he told us that the surgery went well – it went very well!  The first repair was probably ok, but he wanted to give her a better repair that would hold for as long as possible.  There was that confidence that made us trust him with our daughter’s heart – he seemed very proud of his work and I was thrilled to hear it.

All my friends from Babycenter and Facebook who have already been through this warned me.  She would look a mess when we saw her after surgery.  All cords, wires, monitors, blood, bandages and more.  It would be like she had gone through a war.  Nothing can prepare you to see multiple IVs, a central line in her neck, breathing tube and chest tube.  I know they tried but having lived through it; I don’t think that there is anything that anyone could have said to truly make us understand.  It is something that you just have to experience.  Actually, it is something that I wish we didn’t have to experience!

Over the next 5 days, Facebook was the place to look if you wanted updates on her progress:

August 6, 9:59AM “Genevieve did well last night- still sedated but ok. Chest tube is out and they will be working on getting her awake and off the breathing tube today. Thanks all!”

August 6, 4:26PM “Vivi is continuing to do well. Breathing tube is out, throat is sore but she is sleeping comfortably. Hope to be out of the ICU by end of weekend and into a regular room. Then home after that.”

August 7, 9:31 AM “Vivi continues to do well. Central line in her neck has been removed. Down to just an IV in each hand, heart monitors, blood pressure cuff and oxygen monitor. She had some cheerios and apple juice for breakfast. They might even move her out of the ICU into a regular cardiac room today. YEA VIVI!”

August 7, 4:56PM “Another night in the ICU – but only because there is not a room available in the step-down cardiac floor. At this rate, she could be home early to mid next week.”

August 8, 10:22AM “Vivi continues to bounce back quickly. She has gotten out of bed and walked the hallways a couple times. With the exception of the bandages, pace maker cords and heart monitors, you would never know she had open heart surgery just days ago.”

August 9, 2:10PM “All continues to go well – sedated echo cardiogram tomorrow and if the heart looks good . . . Vivi might be on her way home tomorrow!!!! YEA!!!”

August 9, 9:47PM “watching Sid the Science Kid with Vivi on what will hopefully be our last night at Childrens Hospital Boston for a very long time.”

August 10, 3:15PM “Genevieve is home!!!! Amazing! Just 5 days ago she had open heart surgery and now she is playing in the living room like she had never left!”

It was five short days and Genevieve was home.  A friend who went through aortic valve replacement surgery in his 40’s told me that children are made of rubber, they bounce back.  He was laid up for weeks recovering from virtually the same surgery.  In less than a month, Genevieve would be off of all medications except a low-dose aspirin a day . . . and in 3 months time, she would be off that, too!

Seeing Genevieve reunited with Harry, her twin, is a moment that I will never forget.  While in the hospital, she used to look at the photo of Harry and Genevieve sitting in the wagon that we kept at her bedside.  Every night, we both kissed that picture good night as we settled down.

In the 5+ years since her surgery, she has had regular appointments with her cardiologist and has lived a “normal life”.  She is currently in the 2nd grade, takes dance lessons, played Little League and is learning to ice skate.  She still talks non-stop about going to Disney World over the summer and is in constant motion.  Always singing, dancing and making memories!

This is Genevieve and a small part of her story – she is magic, my warrior.  As we prepare for her 2nd open heart surgery in the very near future, I know that we have got this!



3 thoughts on “Have you met my daughter Genevieve?

  1. I can’t tell you the number of times I teared up reading this. Genevieve is so strong and she clearly gets it from her parents! She’s such a special and yes MAGICAL little girl. This is barely another blip on her radar right now – she’s got things to do and places to be and amazing feats to achieve. Rooting for you G!

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Your daughter’s story has given me much hope!
    I too have boy/girl twins due in October, with baby girl diagnosed in utero with aortic stenosis. We are temporarily moving to Boston to birth our baby’s at BWH as well so that our daughter can be treated ASAP next door at Boston Childrens.
    Thank you so very much for sharing- your daughter is an amazing warrior!

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s